Honesty and Disclosure is hope for a healthy future.

I must set the record straight and in keeping with my commitment to honesty and disclosure :


This is the album called "Cães que Salvarão a Raça" on Giancotti's site
(hateful and pernicious remark included).

The first picture is of Gameleira Jaguar
the day before he died. The second and third pictures are of Gameleira Jaguar at at around 6 or 7 months old. I think I sent this picture to Giancotti asking him to tell me if he thought there was something wrong with the dog. I never got a response then - but his opinion was made loud and clear now! At the time Jaguar was being kept by my ranch hand while I was in the US and I discovered he was being underfed. The forth picture I don't recognize, the fifth is Jaguar as a pup again and the last one I don't know who it is either. Not one of my dogs.

Gameleira Jaguar - is dead. He did not live to be 2 y/o. He did not live with me all of his life. He is the son of Gameleira Estrela(dos Tabayara) X Gameleira Africano. Pictures of Jaguar at a heathier time and of his parents are here. He sired only one litter, before he died. He was not my dog of choice for mating.

As my ideal choice for breeding would have been a line-breeding. I would have preferred Massaranduba doa Tabayara, Sultão do Alto Quatis (Half and I kept missing  each other on the phone and couldn't arrange a time), Xavante do Ibituruna (way too far in Acre).

I was able to contact Massaranduba's owner and get his permission to use the male as a reproducer. Massaranduba could not mount my female. He was an older  male that didn't have the energy at the time. I don't hold that against him. His son was available, but also would have not been my selection.

Gameleira Gitana dos Tabayara is clear of dysplasia, x-rays done at the Vet School CA USA but not OFA'd. Gitana is a very active working dog and was interested in moving the cattle at the farm where they were..  Unfortunately, it didnt work out, even though we tried for 3 days and Gitana "slept" with him in the kennel. 

Exactly when Gitana (3/yo) got back from the 'mating trip', while on the leash next to me, Jaguar (only 1 y/o) escaped [jumped] from the terrace and in a matter of seconds mounted her. And that is how my only litter came about. DNA results indicated Jaguar was the sire of the litter and not Massaranduba. I did not expect to have the results I did with Jaguar as a Sire. I am pleasantly surprised with the results.

Results so far:

Gameleira Jaguar and Gameleira Gitana dos Tabayara were closely related and their DNA test results are very similar. Jaguar, was an excellent ranch dog and ran loose around the the 80 acre farm. That was Gitana's first and only litter. No puppies were sold. I kept the male Ariana 'Harry' Boiadeiro do Jatobá and female Abaré 'Abby' Boiadeiro do Jatobá and adopted-out under contract the remaining female Aruana.

The positive aspects of that breeding were that I was able to keep and improve on ability with stock driving, penning endurance, less barky dogs than the mother - more concentration "on the job" - improvement with agility - decrease in cow-hocks. I think Abby is the best in the litter (she aces function), R. Cruz thinks its Aruana (the one I adopted out) and Harry. They are very bidable. No fear of bullets being shot, no fear of thunder, especially Harry - he fears NOTHING! 50% friendly with other dogs. Great trackers - good hunters, Harry - the best. He can find and alert for snakes -  but I'm so afraid the dogs will get hurt..

Negative aspects of this litter - Harry is taller than what I'd like (So was his Aunt, Ariana dos Tabayara), they could have much more homogeneous bone mass - which I think can be improved upon by an "not so close" line-breeding. Abby is smaller than her mother (more like her father). Small amount of puppies. Allergies - grass and raw milk. Neither Jaguar nor Gitana had under bites, but Harry has crooked teeth. He is also more prone to Larvae (bernes).

They are work stock daily for at least 40 to 60 min (videos posted) and have been sick only once as pups. I plan to get x-rays for hips and patella before reproduction - not in any rush for that tho. Recent photos here.

This is all I can remember for now - will update when/if something arises.

John West, if you're out there - I hope this is something helpful. And thanks for your 
theory about how the word Jackass came about!








No comments: